jueves, 20 de mayo de 2021

Pancake Day-Shrove Tuesday

 



Shared by Mary Marsell:

The link below was helpful in understanding why my English girlfriends in Spain were all talking about PANCAKES AND CREPES today and what the terms like Pancake Tuesday* meant.
Before I was thinking, "well, we eat those every Saturday morning!" I confess my ignorance, oh my! 

*Home cooks and chefs alike know that there’s one food in particular that’s ideal for using up lots of eggs and butter: pancakes. The food has worked its way into the lore and language of Shrove Tuesday itself. In the UK and other parts of the world, Shrove Tuesday is known as Pancake Day or Pancake Tuesday. 

Btw.... Make sure if you buy maple syrup (from the store Taste of America or any other market) be sure to get the REAL maple syrup that comes from maple trees (pure 100%), which is a million times better! And, it's better for you than the cheap chemical and corn syrups taste-alikes).

https://www.dictionary.com/e/meaning-of-shrove-tuesday-mardi-gras-ash-wednesday-lent/?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=TUESDAY%20Daily%20Email%202019%202021-02-16&utm_term=Quote%20Emails%20%28primary%29


Comments on Mary's post:

"I was brought up as a Protestant in the Church of England and we also had Fish Fridays! At boarding school, we were served a dish called Kedgeree. It originated in India but was brought back by returning British colonials.
Here's a link to a recipe: if you try it, let us know!"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/really_good_kedgeree_75198


"I was raised in the Catholic faith and we were subjected most horrendously to Fish Friday every week and during Lent, my father insisted that we ate NO red meat, well almost no meat at all.

Even though I used to love Shrove Tuesday as it was Pancake Day - and in my opinion the best way to eat pancakes (let's face it one pancake is never enough!!! lol) is with some sugar and lemon juice, I don't have fond memories of Lent. Imagine being a child and having to eat that much fish; really quite traumatic (it sounds so dramatic now lol) What always got me through was knowing that at Easter we would get chocolate Easter eggs. So I guess first the pain, then the pleasure...(40 Shades of Grey - I mean 40 days...)"




No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

CLARKSON'S FARM

  I love Jeremy Clarkson's selfdeprecating humour, his wonderful accent. Also, specially the 2nd season, they way he feels about Brexit,...